Top 25 Companies For Work-Life Balance (2012)
Prioritizing between “work” on one hand and “life” on the other can feel like an endless struggle for some. Often, helping people balance on-the-job demands and the desire for some personal time can come down to the culture of a company and the commitment management has to helping employees find middle ground.
At Glassdoor, we wanted to find out which companies stand out because employees feel supported — if not encouraged — to work hard and take time for leisure, family and friends. To do this, we looked at company reviews over the past year. Topping the list of the Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance are MITRE, North Highland, Agilent Technologies, SAS Institute, and CareerBuilder.
Here’s what some employees are saying at the top rated companies for work-life balance:
“Work-life balance is very real and everyone is encouraged to take time off and keep their work hours under control.” – MITRE Senior Economic Business Analyst (McLean, VA)
“They’re smart, innovative, fun and have lives outside of work. You’re treated with respect and ideas are welcome from all levels within North Highland.” – North Highland Operations Employee (Denver, CO)
“Numerous people who have left for other companies (family reasons, higher pay, etc) have called back and remarked that they didn’t realize how good they had it at Agilent. Work-life balance is superior to most companies, collegiality is high, and work is interesting.” – Agilent Technologies R&D Scientist (Santa Rosa, CA)
New to Glassdoor? Here’s what else you can find:
- Find jobs: To search, enter a company name, job title and/or location in the search field. Plus, only Glassdoor offers its JobScopeTM, which provides an instant inside look into a job and company directly from the job listing.
- Research salary: Check out salary and compensation reports for specific job positions at specific companies by years of experience and by location. (Don’t forget to anonymously leave your own report to help the next visitor).
- Prepare for an interview: With Glassdoor’s interview questions and reviews, get a leg up on the competition by finding out what the interview experience and process has been like for others and what you may be asked in an interview.
- Gut check the culture and work environment: Review the ratings and reviews – including the good, bad and everything in between — from current and past employees and learn more about what it’s like to walk the halls on a daily basis. For more insight, check out the photos of actual offices and locations.
- Discover Inside Connections: Leverage your Facebook network to help you find an ‘in’ at specific companies where you’d like to work. You may be surprised at who has that ‘in’ you’re looking for – it could be a friend you grew up with, a fraternity brother or sorority sister, a co-worker, someone from your basketball fantasy league or perhaps even your own mom.
See what companies made the Top 25 Companies for Work-Life Balance for 2011