10 Google Interview Questions That Will Make You Feel Stupid
Landing a job at Google is closely intertwined with winning the lottery in nerd world.
To give you an idea of what it takes to get behind Google’s closely guarded walls, here are a few bizarre interview questions that should come as no surprise in an interview with Google.
- You are shrunk to the height of a nickel and your mass is proportionally reduced so as to maintain your original density. You are then thrown into an empty glass blender. The blades will start moving in 60 seconds. What do you do?
- You are at a party with a friend and 10 people are present including you and the friend. Your friend makes you a wager that for every person you find that has the same birthday as you, you get $1; for every person he finds that does not have the same birthday as you, he gets $2. Would you accept the wager?
- If the probability of observing a car in 30 minutes on a highway is 0.95, what is the probability of observing a car in 10 minutes (assuming constant default probability)?
- Estimate the number of students who are college seniors, attend four-year schools, and graduate with a job in the United States every year.
- How much should you charge to wash all the windows in Seattle?
- Explain a database in three sentences to your eight-year-old nephew.
- How many times a day does a clock’s hands overlap?
- Every man in a village of 100 couples has cheated on his wife. Every wife in the village instantly knows when a man other than her husband has cheated, but does not know when her own husband has. The village has a law that does not allow for adultery. Any wife who can prove that her husband is unfaithful must kill him that very day. The woman of the village would never disobey this law. One day the queen of the village visits and announces that at least one husband has been unfaithful. What happens?
- In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?
- How many piano tuners are there in the entire world?