Published On: Mon, Oct 31st, 2011

Republican Candidate Herman Cain Denies Allegations of Sexual Misconduct

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Monday he has been “falsely accused” of inappropriate behavior toward two female employees.

Cain responded to a report in POLITICO alleging that two female workers of the National Restaurant Association complained that he used sexual innuendoes and inappropriate behavior towards them.

“I have never sexually harassed anyone,” Cain said at the National Press Club on Monday, repeating comments he made earlier on Fox News. “While at the restaurant association I was accused of sexual harassment – falsely accused. It was concluded after thorough investigation that it had not basis.”

Herman Cain said his popularity in the Republican race has led to the “source of this witch hunt.”

CNN.com reported Monday that Cain’s campaign accused the media of launching “unsubstantiated personal attacks on Cain.”

“Since Washington establishment critics haven’t had much luck in attacking Mr. Cain’s ideas to fix a bad economy and create jobs, they are trying to attack him in any way they can,” J.D. Gordon, Cain’s campaign vice president, said Sunday.

The women who left the Association after receiving “separation packages that were in the five-figure range,” were not named in the POLITICO story.

Meanwhile, the CWA president Penny Nance told POLITICO: “I think Herman Cain needs to directly answer the question.”

“Early in my career I resigned from a trade association for the exact same reason and with no financial settlement. I simply found another job,” Nance said. “Therefore, I know in a very personal way that sexual harassment exists and that it’s demeaning and painful. It should never be tolerated in the workforce and certainly not the White House.”

Cain said he was not aware of any settlement that the women received during his appearance on Fox News early Monday.

 

About the Author

- Contributor

Search Jobs